Frequently Asked Questions
1. When and where are the classes? Classes are held at the Commodore Barry Irish Center in Mount Airy, Philadelphia, PA; the North Penn VFW in Glenside, PA; and the Ovations Studio in Oaklyn, NJ. More information can be found on the Class information page.
2. What should my dancer wear to class? Dancers should wear shorts or skorts so the teachers can observe the proper techniques. For the first few classes, socks can be worn instead of shoes. Poodle socks for girls and ankle length socks for boys and correct shoes should also be worn. More information can be found on the Class information webpage.
3. In what activities does the Cummins School participate? The families of the Cummins School participate in many different events throughout the year. These include competitions, shows, fundraisers, camps, and a charity walk. Find more information on the School Activities webpage. We host our own competition each year known as Feis at the Beach.
4. What type of costume should my dancer wear and where can I purchase them? Beginner girl dancers will wear a school skirt and white blouse. As they progress, they can wear the school dress and, eventually, solo dresses. Boys will wear black slacks, a white shirt with a royal blue tie. See more information on costumes and shoes on the Costumes webpage.
5. How do I sign up for the parent email list? After you sign up on the contact page, you will receive occasional emails with class and event updates from the instructors.
6. How old does my child need to be to take classes? Cummins school offers a tiny tots class to 3 and 4 year olds that teaches basic skills. See the class information page for more information.
7. Does my dancer need to compete? The Cummins School wishes to teach students dance as a part of the Irish Culture. Students are not required to compete. There are many performances scheduled if students wish to share their skills without competing. See the school activities page for more information about those.
8. What is a feis (pronounced fesh)? A feis is a competition for Irish Dancers. A dancer can enter as a soloist or as part of a team. Some feiseanna offer cultural competitions for celtic artwork, soda bread, music and Irish language. See the Competition page for more information.